Virtual Story Time: Shark Baby
REGISTRATION IS FULL. BUT WE WILL HAVE ADDITIONAL VIRTUAL STORYTIMES ANNOUNCED VERY SOON.
When Shark Baby’s egg case is torn loose in a storm, he goes on a journey across kelp forests, coral reefs, and seagrass meadows. He needs to find the “mermaid” to find out where he belongs. Will he find his way back?
During this virtual story time, we read a fictional story aloud online with your learners and then engage together in a Creative Minds learning segment to help build critical thinking skills, promote oral language skills, fluency, pronunciation, STEM engagement, and reading comprehension.
A special thanks to Arbordale Publishing and for allowing us to adapt this story.
- Recommended for Ages (Grades): 05-06 (Kindergarten), 06-07 (1st), 07-08 (2nd)
- When: Monday, March 23, 2020, 10:00–10:30 am ET
- Online via Zoom, free registration required by parent or guardian. Once you have registered you will receive a link from Zoom with connection information in it. You should also get a reminder 24 hours before the event and 1 hour before the event.
One of a series of free virtual education opportunities coming up from Mote Marine Laboratory. If you miss this one, we expect to have more to come very soon.
Learning Resources for If a Dolphin Were a Fish
Alignment to Standards
Ocean Literacy Principles
- OLP #5 The ocean supports a great diversity of life and ecosystems
- OLP #6 The ocean and humans are inextricably interconnected
- ELA-LITERACY -- CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.1.RL.5 -- Reading: Literature
- Earth Space Science Progression -- ESS2C K-2 -- Next Generation Science
- Earth Space Science Progression -- ESS3A K-2 -- Next Generation Science
- Life Science Progression -- LS1A K-2 -- Next Generation Science
- Life Science Progression -- LS1B K-2 -- Next Generation Science
- Life Science Progression -- LS1D K-2 -- Next Generation Science
- Life Science Progression -- LS4D K-2 -- Next Generation Science
- A full list of alignment to core and NGSS standards is available from Arbordale - https://www.arbordalepublishing.com/Standards_by_title.php?state=CR&t=138
Florida State Standards
K - SC.K.L.14.2, SC.K.L.14.32 - SC.2.L.16.1, SC.2.L.17.2
UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)
- Goal 12: Ensure sustainable consumption and production patterns
- Goal 13: Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts
- Goal 14: Conserve and sustainably use the oceans, seas and marine resources