Virtual Story Time: Shark Baby
When Shark Baby’s egg case is torn loose in a storm, he goes on a journey across kelp forests, coral reefs, and seagrass meadows. He needs to find the “mermaid” to find out where he belongs. Will he find his way back?
During this virtual story time, we read a fictional story aloud online with your learners and then engage together in a Creative Minds learning segment to help build critical thinking skills, promote oral language skills, fluency, pronunciation, STEM engagement, and reading comprehension.
A special thanks to Arbordale Publishing for making this lesson possible and to the Center for Interactive Learning and Collaboration for hosting this event.
- Recommended for Ages (Grades): 05-06 (Kindergarten), 06-07 (1st), 07-08 (2nd)
- When: Monday, April 6, 2020, 9:30–10:00 am ET
- Online via Zoom, free registration required by parent or guardian. Once you have registered you will receive a link from Zoom with connection information in it. You also will get a reminder 24 hours before the event and 1 hour before the event.
One of a series of free virtual education opportunities coming up from Mote Marine Laboratory. If you miss this one, we expect to have more to come very soon.
Your support can make more opportunities like this available. Thank you.
Learning Resources for If a Dolphin Were a Fish
Alignment to Standards
- Subject Areas: Life Sciences
- Ocean Literacy Principles
- OLP #5 The ocean supports a great diversity of life and ecosystems
- OLP #6 The ocean and humans are inextricably interconnected
- National Standards
- ELA-LITERACY -- CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.1.RL.5 -- Reading: Literature
- Earth Space Science Progression -- ESS2C K-2 -- Next Generation Science
- Earth Space Science Progression -- ESS3A K-2 -- Next Generation Science
- Life Science Progression -- LS1A K-2 -- Next Generation Science
- Life Science Progression -- LS1B K-2 -- Next Generation Science
- Life Science Progression -- LS1D K-2 -- Next Generation Science
- Life Science Progression -- LS4D K-2 -- Next Generation Science
- A full list of alignment to core and NGSS standards is available from Arbordale - https://www.arbordalepublishing.com/Standards_by_title.php?state=CR&t=138
- Florida State Standards
- K - SC.K.L.14.2, SC.K.L.14.32 - SC.2.L.16.1, SC.2.L.17.2
- UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)
- Goal 12: Ensure sustainable consumption and production patterns
- Goal 13: Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts
- Goal 14: Conserve and sustainably use the oceans, seas and marine resources