|Date Stranded||November 16, 1999|
|Location of Stranding||Cape Cod, MA|
|Date of Arrival||December 10, 1999|
|Number of Days of Care||212|
Released at Canaveral National Seashore Sanctuary on August 9, 2000
This turtle was part of a mass stranding of 277 turtles in the winter of 1999-2000 at Cape Cod. This turtle was treated for pneumonia, intestinal protozoa, and skin lesions and was released back into the wild.
Lessons: (applicable to Kemps A-K)
1. Piperacillin was effective in controlling pseudomonad infections.
2. Itraconazole worked in 9 of 11 turtles to control fungal infections.
3. Cold stunning may affect the immune system of affected turtles of up to 9-10 months.
4. Fungal infections may not affect the white counts in turtles.
5. Uric acid was best indicator of kidney failure.
6. The antibiotic grepofloxacin caused a total loss of appetite.