Sarasota-Manatee high school students are invited to apply by Nov. 30 for Mote Marine Laboratory’s Ocean Technology Club, which begins its winter meetings on Jan. 18, 2018.
The club will allow selected students and teachers to explore oceanography, physics, chemistry, electronic circuitry and computer programming through real-world examples and applications with Mote researchers. Activities range from using robotic underwater autonomous gliders to monitor harmful algae to building tags to be placed on fish to monitor their behavior.
The club is the first of its kind in Florida, led by Mote’s Ocean Technology Research and Education programs, with support from the Fisheries Ecology and Enhancement and Fisheries Habitat Ecology programs at Mote, and the Gulf of Mexico Coastal Ocean Observing System (GCOOS).
Ocean Technology Club members will be selected through a competitive application process and invited to participate at no cost.
- Four month commitment to participate (January-April);
- Attendance at evening workshops every other Thursday from 5:00-8:00 pm, beginning Jan. 18, at Mote;
- Attendance at three Saturday workshops at The Suncoast Science Center/Faulhaber Fabrication Lab;
- Attendance at several other weekend activities including field trips to install sensors or day-trip research cruises to deploy oceanographic instrumentation;
- Access to transportation for all activities.
- Mote’s Ocean Technology Club provides both learning and work experience. Students are asked to commit the appropriate time to regular workshops as well as some outside time to complete their projects. Mote is accepting about 10 new students for the 2018 winter semester.
Who is eligible: Students entering grades 9-12 with a high level of motivation and interest in STEM (science, technology, engineering, and math) activities.
Before you apply, please consider carefully and discuss with your family whether you can make the semester-long commitment to Mote.
Deadline: Complete this form by Nov. 30 to apply.
For questions, please email email@example.com.