Mote Marine Laboratory & Aquarium is seeking a creative intern to join our exhibit design team on everyday exhibit maintenance, exhibit design and scientific illustration projects.
This intern will have the opportunity to complete an independent project that can be a fully realized exhibit design, interactive exhibit, research project, or the intern may have the opportunity to collaborate with a researcher to create a series of scientific illustrations.
Interns are expected to work well individually and as part of a team, be self motivated, and seek every opportunity to learn and improve Mote Aquarium’s guest experience. Applicants must be able to lift 50 pounds and be able to tolerate the flora, fauna and climate of southwest Florida.
This is not a husbandry position. Interns will not work directly with any animals.
- Complete an independent exhibit design, illustration, or research project and create a formal presentation at the end of the summer for Mote staff
- Work with exhibits team on Aquarium’s day to day design needs (including but not limited to: flier design, directional sign design, file prep for print, illustrations for Aquarium events and promotions, etc.)
- Work with exhibits team on the exterior maintenance of Aquarium exhibits
- Participate in exhibit installs
- Assist with the maintenance of the Aquarium’s gardens
- Accomplish other duties as assigned
- Email a current portfolio to firstname.lastname@example.org after submitting the general Mote intern application.
- Interest in exhibit design and illustration
- Interest in guest experience
- Some experience using Adobe Creative Cloud software suite (or willingness to learn)
This internship can be completed in one of the following durations:
- Minimum 10 week commitment
- 40 hrs/week
- Typical work hours are 7:30am-4:30pm, with a daily schedule of Sunday through Thursday, Monday through Friday or Tuesday through Saturday; additional hours may be required on occasion
- approximately 25 week commitment throughout the fall and spring semesters
- minimum 16 hrs/week
- Typical work hours are 7:30am-4:30pm, with a weekly schedule to be determined based on program need and intern availability
*Note: Although preference is given to applications received by the deadline, the Exhibit Design and Scientific Illustration program will review late applications submitted to their program.