Marine Policy Institute
Barbara Lausche, J.D., is an environmental lawyer with some 30 years of experience with governmental and non-governmental organizations in the US and abroad. Her work has concentrated on conservation aspects of environmental law including international law and, since 2000, her focus has been mainly on marine and coastal issues. Lausche has worked with the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency on oceans and water issues, the Congressional Office of Technology Assessment in renewable resources, and some 10 years as environmental lawyer and senior environmental specialist with the World Bank. She is on the Board of the Island Resources Foundation and co-founded the Science and Environmental Council of Sarasota County where she was its honorary Executive Director for five years.
Juris Doctor (J.D.), Columbus School of Law, Catholic University, Washington, D.C., B.A. in Math and Russian, Minnesota State Univ., Bemidji, Minn. Vsiting fellowship, Colorado Law School, Boulder, Colorado., and Oxford University in the UK.
- Online Course on Protected Areas Law. 2017. (Part of Conservation Training Programme of Work on Protected Areas (PoWPA) managed by UNDP/CBD. Consists of two modules: l) introduction to protected areas law, 2) special legal issues related to marine protected areas, transboundary areas, and connectivity conservation.) UNDP: New York, USA. (Accessible through http://www.protectedareaslaw.org/content/online%20course)
- Building Capacity on Protected Areas Law and Governance [Training Modules – E-Product]. Paterson, Alexander, Barbara Lausche, Jamie Benidickson, and Patti Moore. 2016. Lydia Slobodian (ed.). Gland, Switzerland: IUCN. available at: <www.protectedareaslaw.org>.
- “Connectivity Conservation Management”, Pulsford, I., Lindenmayer, D., Wyborn, C., Lausche, B., Worboys, G.L. Vasiliijevic, M. and Lefroy, T. 2015. In G.L. Worboys, M. Lockwood, A. Kothari, S. Feary and I. Pulsford (eds) Protected Area Governance and Management, pp. 851-888. ANU Press. Canberra.
- Sea Level Rise-Tips for Adaptation Planning [Brochure]. 2014. Sarasota, FL.: Mote Marine Laboratory and Sarasota Bay Estuary Program.
- “Sea Level Rise Adaptation: Emerging Lessons for Local Policy Development”, B. Lausche and L. Maier. 2013. Technical Report No. 1723. Sarasota, FL: Mote Marine Laboratory. Available online at: https://dspace.mote.org/dspace/handle/2075/3223.
- The Legal Aspects of Connectivity Conservation. A Concept Paper, B. Lausche, D. Farrier, J. Verschuuren, A. G. M. La Viña, A. Trouwborst, C. Hubert-Born, L. Aug. 2013. IUCN, Gland, Switzerland. xxiv + 190 pp.
- Guidelines for Protected Areas Legislation. 2011. IUCN, Gland, Switzerland. xxvi + 370 pp.
- “Synopsis of an Assessment: Policy Tools for Local Adaptation to Sea Level Rise.” Mote Technical Report #1419. 2009. Marine Policy Institute, Mote Marine Laboratory, Sarasota, FL. USA. 22 pp.
- The Wider Caribbean Region – A Pivotal Time to Strengthen Regional Instruments for Biodiversity Conservation, in 23 The International Journal of Marine and Coastal Law 499-530 (2008) (special collection of writings by IUCN CEL Specialist Group on Oceans, Coasts, and Coral Reefs).
- Weaving a Web of Environmental Law- Contributions of the IUCN Environmental Law Programme. 2008. (Erich Schmidt Verlag, Berlin, Germany) (2008). 509 pp.
- “Guidelines for marine protected areas legislation in Central Pacific islands” (chapter for protected areas manager training in the region) (IUCN-US) (supported by the US Parks Service) (2006).
- “The World Bank Contribution to International Environmental Law Yearbook 1990” (coauthor, W.P. Ofosu-Amaah), in International Environmental Law Yearbook 1990 (Wayne State U. Law School: 1991).
- “Environmental Law – Progress and Problems” (coauthored with F. Burhenne-Guilmin, C. de Klemm, M. Forster) for World Conservation Strategy Conference, Ottawa, 1986, reprinted in 16 Environmental Policy and Law 189-209, (Dec.1986).
- African Wildlife Laws (coauthor, C. de Klemm) (IUCN:1986).
- “Legislative and Institutional Support” in R. Salm, Marine and Coastal Protected Areas: A Guide for Planners and Managers (coauthor Graeme Kelleher) (IUCN, 1983).
- UNEP In-depth Review of Environmental Law (ICEL:1981).
- Aiding the Environment: a Study of USAID's Environmental Performance (coauthored) (NRDC: 1980).
- Guidelines for Protected Areas Legislation (IUCN: 1980).
Awards & Honors
Lausche is an invited member of the World Commission on Environmental Law (WCEL), and World Commission of Protected Areas, of the International Union for the Conservation of Nature (IUCN) and Caribbean co-chair of IUCN WCEL Specialists Group on Oceans, Coasts and Coral Reefs.