2022 SHSVP REGISTRATION IS NOW CLOSED
We have reached our capacity for applicants, and the registration for the 2022 Summer High School Volunteer Program (SHSVP) has ended. Please check back with us in February 2023 to register for our 2023 SHSVP. If you would like to be placed on our waiting list for the 2022 program in the case of cancellations, or potential high school volunteer opportunities later in the year, please click HERE.
Mote Marine Laboratory offers a competitive high school volunteer program for those students who are interested in marine science and education. Students selected will have the opportunity to earn service hour credit required for high school graduation. The students will serve as Aquarium Guides and interpret exhibits to guests. Training will be provided.
- The Summer High School Volunteer Program (SHSVP) is for current high school students or students who will enter high school in the following school year.
- High School graduates and high school students who will graduate before July, are ineligible for the SHSVP, but may apply as a regular volunteer if they are able to serve for at least 6 months.
- SHSVP volunteers must attend the on-site orientation on June 4th, 2022. The orientation is expected to begin in the morning and conclude with a tour of the aquarium in the mid-afternoon.
- SHSVP volunteers must have transportation to and from Mote Marine Laboratory campus on Ken Thompson Parkway over the course of the program.
- SHSVP volunteers must commit 32 service hours as an Aquarium Guide to complete the program. One, 4-hour shift per week for a period of 8 weeks is the expectation, as the program’s duration is scheduled for 8 weeks.
- Volunteers will be selected based on application, interview, and availability.
For questions, contact Mote's Volunteer Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org.