Mote Marine Laboratory is an Equal Opportunity Employer and actively seeks to diversify its work force. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status or other protected category.
Hours: 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. with one hour for lunch
The Receptionist is a key member of the Mote Marine Laboratory staff. As the first point of contact, the Receptionist/Administrative Assistant’s role serves as an ambassador to all visitors and callers. A positive attitude, even temperament, along with a professional appearance and demeanor is essential. Other imperative qualities are punctuality, excellent attendance and proper dress attire that adhere to the rules of Mote Marine Laboratory and Aquarium. Previous experience with MS Word/Excel, postage/mail equipment, USPS, FedEx and UPS shipping and receiving, and multi-function copiers are preferred. This position requires full cooperation and communication with immediate supervisor relative to potential problems or unusual events. From time to time, this position may require the need to quickly evaluate and then triage tasks and situations in this fast paced multi-task environment.
Duties and Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Answer and direct all incoming calls from a multi-line switchboard, quickly and accurately amidst a fast paced environment.
- Provide accurate general information relative to Laboratory and Aquarium, and/or direct calls to appropriate staff when necessary.
- Greet visitors and vendors and notify appropriate staff of their arrival.
- Daily monitoring of email@example.com email account; respond to general Laboratory and Aquarium inquiries, or direct emails to appropriate staff in a timely manner in an effort to provide a quick response.
- Responsible for identification and notification to appropriate staff members of all incoming shipments, paying particular attention to packages that need to be refrigerated or are of a time sensitive priority.
- Process all outgoing mail and shipments; sort and distribute incoming mail on a daily basis.
- Provide printer/copier support, assuring necessary toner cartridges are on hand and/or place services calls immediately when needed.
- Collect data for monthly printer/copier reports and associated billing.
- Input/maintain/update account codes and emails for multi-function copiers.
- Maintenance and supply stocking for 1st and 2nd floor copy rooms.
- Place weekly office supply orders and notify staff immediately upon their arrival.
- Provide in-house office supplies for sign out when needed by staff.
- Compile end of month reports for postage/office/printing/battery supplies, and monthly vehicle slips/receipts.
- Assist staff with vehicle sign out/sign in procedures.
- Communicate with day porter when cleaning/repair issues arise in both Laboratory and Aquarium, and notify staff of janitorial supply pick up.
- Oversee issues with vending machines.
- Maintenance of postage machine supplies and equipment.
- Update necessary miscellaneous office forms along with ordering envelopes, P.O.s, Letterhead, name badges, and special Hammermill paper for 2nd floor usage.
- Maintain/update staff and room extension lists (physical/online).
- Maintenance/update information rack in main lobby.
- Oversee petty cash box, enter cash/check amount in Excel Petty Cash form then give to Accounts Receivable for bank deposit.
- Assist the Business Office with various tasks, including filing, data entry, and other duties.
- Other duties as assigned.
- This job description is subject to change at any time.
Education Requirements: High School Diploma or GED Equivalent
- Occasionally move or transport objects weighing up to 25 pounds.
- Ability to work in a stationary position for long periods of time.
- Occasionally positions self to reach under shelves and desks and higher shelves in supply closets.
- Ability to work in warm or humid temperature conditions.
Interested applicants should submit as a single electronic file, 1) a cover letter, 2) resume, and 3) the names and contact information for three references, before 5pm January 12, 2018 to HumanResources@mote.org. Alternatively, a single package of all requested elements may be submitted to Mote Marine Laboratory, Attn: Human Resources, 1600 Ken Thompson Parkway, Sarasota, FL 34236.
Aquarium Maintenance Technician
This position performs a variety of duties relating to all facets of facilities maintenance in the Aquarium public and behind the scenes areas, including, but not limited to, interior and exterior painting, flooring (wood, tile and carpet), basic electrical and plumbing, HVAC, and general carpentry. The Aquarium Maintenance Technician will also maintain and update digital ID monitors, computer tablets and T.V. monitors. This position will assist with the preparation and breakdown for special events (eg. lighting, tables and chairs). This position will help determine if a task can be done in-house or needs to be outsourced and gather bids for this work. Other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
Typical hours are 8:00am to 5:00pm with a one hour unpaid break for lunch. A normal work week is 40 hours. Weekend, holiday and occasional evening or early morning duty may be required. A typical work week will include one weekend day. Mote Aquarium is open to the public 365 days a year from 10am-5pm so staff must be flexible when major off hours projects are undertaken.
Work experience: Minimum of 2 years with similar duties in a public facility preferred.
Working knowledge of the materials, methods and tools involved in the repair and upkeep of public buildings and structures.
Immigration Status: Ability to work legally in the United States.
Valid Florida Driver’s License: Required or the ability to obtain one within 60 days of employment.
Education: High school diploma or GED certificate desirable. Trade school or technical school degree preferred.
- Perform routine tasks accurately and efficiently
- Communicate clearly both verbally and in writing
- Good existing computer skills and ability to learn custom software
- Ability to make decisions and work independently
- Possess the ability to accomplish after-hours tasks with minimum supervision.
- Capable of working with PVC pipe, fittings, solvent cement, epoxy and resins
- Competent with hand and power tools.
- Ability to work outside in all Florida weather conditions
- Ability to spend the majority of the workday walking, standing, bending and
- Capable of climbing and working from ladders
- Tolerance to work around noisy machinery & equipment
- Ability to work in confined spaces
- Tolerance for the smell of fish and animal feces
- Ability to lift and carry 60 lbs
- Ability to lift 25lbs overhead
- Capable of working around bleach and other sanitizing chemicals
- Tolerance working with wet hands, feet and clothes
- Visual acuity is required including the ability to distinguish color variations
Interested applicants should submit as a single electronic file, 1) a cover letter, 2) resume, and 3) the names and contact information for three references, before 5pm January 26, 2018 to HumanResources@mote.org. Alternatively, a single package of all requested elements may be submitted to Mote Marine Laboratory, Attn: Human Resources, 1600 Ken Thompson Parkway, Sarasota, FL 34236.