Mote Marine Laboratory is one of the oldest marine research laboratories in Florida. We opened our doors as the Cape Haze Marine Laboratory in Placida, Florida, in 1955. The Lab was later renamed to honor a major benefactor, William R. Mote and the contributions he and his family made to helping us grow — both in size and reputation. Today, we are located on City Island in Sarasota, Florida, with field stations in eastern Sarasota County and the Florida Keys. Our scientists conduct research on all seven continents.
A history of Mote Marine Laboratory, written by the organization's longest-serving president, Dr. Kumar Mahadevan, who is today President Emeritus, was published in a special issue of the scientific journal Gulf of Mexico Science. This special issue of the journal was created to introduce readers from around the country to the breadth and depth of marine science that has been and continues to take place in the Gulf of Mexico.
An expanded version of this history is available here as a downloadable PDF.