Applications for Summer 2023 are now closed. Please visit the College Internship Program page for information about other summer internship opportunities.
We at Mote are scientists, explorers and stewards of the ocean. Focused on research and education, we work to create a better environment for ourselves and our families. The answers are in the ocean. Together, we will find them.
For more about Mote, click here.
Join us for an online info session to learn more about the Mote REU Program. To register, click the available dates below.
The Mote REU Summer season will run from May 28 - August 5, 2023.
Application deadline is February 15th.
This program offers a residential research experience for undergraduates and is designed to provide hands-on opportunities to participate in scientific research under the mentorship of Mote scientists. Students gain experience in scientific research, science communication and attend research seminars and workshops on career skills. The experience gained through a Mote research internship will enhance both the knowledge and experience needed for entry-level employment as well as graduate studies within related fields. Interns will participate in scientific projects being conducted in their mentor’s area of expertise. The goal of this program is to broaden participation of historically underserved, underrepresented groups in marine STEM including underrepresented minorities. (Underrepresented minorities are African Americans, Hispanics, American Indians, Alaska Natives, and Native Hawaiians or Other Pacific Islanders.) However, students of any race, ethnicity or identity are welcome to apply.
- U.S. citizens or permanent residents of the U.S. or its territories.
- Currently enrolled* in a degree program (full-time or part-time) leading to a baccalaureate degree.
- First-time REU participants. Priority will be given to students who have not completed an NSF REU internship program.
- Available for the full duration of the program, from May 28 to August 5, 2023. For questions regarding scheduling conflicts, please see our REU FAQ page.
No former research or internship experience necessary.
Student participants will:
- Be involved in scientific research projects under the direction of a Mote scientist.
- Gain experience in planning and implementing research through involvement in on-going research projects.
- Present a final poster or presentation.
- Attend scientific research seminars presented by graduate students, post-docs or scientists from Mote, government agencies or universities.
- Learn about opportunities for graduate study, careers in marine science, and communication skills in science by participating in student workshops.
Stipends, travel and housing information
Students participating in the Mote REU Program receive:
- Earn a $6000 stipend over a 10 week period.
- Free housing in a local dormitory or a housing stipend. *Confirmed upon acceptance notification.
- Financial support for travel expenses between Mote and their home institution.
Note: Provided dorms are off-campus so bringing a car is highly recommended. Public transportation between Mote and most local areas is available through a local bus system. Interns are responsible for providing or making arrangements for daily transportation to Mote.
Mote REU Application Process
Applicants must complete the online application form. Select the Mote REU application and upload a one-to-two page Statement of Interest, a resume or CV, and unofficial transcript. Applicants must also request a letter of recommendation, which must be uploaded directly by their recommender. More detailed instructions for preparing and submitting these materials are provided on the application page. Applicants will be asked to select programs of interest. Descriptions of Mote’s laboratory research programs can be found here and a description of the new Aquarium Sciences and Animal Care research position can be found here. Please note that not all research programs may be listed as available options on the application and you are not limited to or guaranteed placement in selected programs.
Still unsure what to expect from an internship with Mote? Check out this video to hear directly from our interns and learn more!
We’d like to hear from you! Please complete this feedback survey to help us build a more accessible program (length: less than 1 minute).