The Library and Archives of Mote Marine Laboratory and Aquarium: preserving, protecting, and promoting marine research for over 35 years.
The Arthur Vining Davis Library and Archives has been providing resources, reference, and research for more than thirty-five years at Mote Marine Laboratory. Its collections are maintained for the support of marine and environmental research and education. In addition to print and archival collections, the Library maintains two searchable online, open-access institutional repositories (DSpace and Omeka) of Mote staff publications, institutional papers, and items from historical collections. New resources are continually added. Library internships are available throughout the year.
The Library and Archives are open to the public for study and exploration Monday through Friday. Appointments are suggested for library visitors and required for archival tours. For further information call (941) 388-4441, extension 333.
Find Library Materials
- Library Catalog: Search the library holdings for books, reports, e-pubs, journal titles, reprints, and more.
- DSpace: Full-text, open access e-repository of technical reports, articles, and historical publications. (Currently in update; you may need to change browsers in order to access.)
- Omeka: Digital repository of items from the Mote Institutional Collection
- Archon: Archives and special collections finding aids
- ArchivesGrid: Archives and special collections indexing
Find Articles & Data
- American Chemical Society Publications: ACS journals, eBooks, C&EN Archives (Contact Librarian for full-text)
- Bibliographic Databases & Disciplinary Repositories: Discipline-specific articles and data.
- BioMed Central: open access publisher, full-text
- BioOne: biosciences & environment collection, full-text
- Florida Electronic Library: articles, proceedings, and more
- IELC LibGuides: Environmental resource guides at the International Environment Library Consortium
- JSTOR: Life science collection, full-text
- ScienceDirect: Elsevier, full-text ejournals and ebooks (Contact Librarian for full-text)
- Springer: biomedical and environmental sciences, full-text
- WorldCat: Search for materials from other libraries. (Contact Librarian to place an inter-library loan.)
Featured Collections in the Archives
- About the Collections
- Mote Magazine Article: "Legacies Preserved"
- Bass Biological Laboratory Collection
- Charles M. Breder Jr. Collection
- Charlotte Harbor Studies
- Mote Publications and Technical Reports
- Online Exhibit: Bass Lab and Cookie House
- Herbarium Collection: Via the MacroAlgal Herbarium Consortium
Library & Archives Project
90 Years of Environmental Data Online:
Since late 2009, the library staff has been conducting a basic processing and digitization project of pertinent Mote Technical Reports, 1930s-40s gray literature from the Bass Biological Laboratory (BBL) of Englewood, Florida, and various other SW Florida environment-related collections dating to the early 1920s. The process involves the rescue and preservation of unpublished documents and data from various entities, conversion to electronic format and e-publication of some of the key materials in the Library's open-access repository, DSpace. Initial digitization was funded under the provisions of the Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA), from the Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS), administered by the Florida Department of State, Division of Library and Information Services. In 2011, materials processing was supported by the Mote Scientific Foundation. This project was expanded and continued in 2013, thanks to funds from The Arthur Vining Davis Foundations.