Already a volunteer? Access the Volunteer Portal here:
VOLUNTEER PORTAL LOGIN
Interested in Volunteering?
Realize the good you can do by simply giving your time. You can be a part of something meaningful and help support one of the world's most important marine research organizations by becoming a Volunteer at Mote Marine Laboratory and Aquarium.
Mote’s volunteer corps is over 1,000 strong and offers the opportunity to get involved with peers who share your love of the sea and its creatures. Take a look at our current volunteer opportunities below.
Mote Aquarium Opportunities:
- Engage guests at Mote Aquarium exhibits, teaching about marine life, conservation, and Mote research.
- 15+ years of age (Current high school students, please click here)
- Weekly 4 hour shift. Minimum commitment of 100 hours/year
- Passion for marine science, animals, and ocean habitats
- The ability to interact with aquarium visitors with patience and enthusiasm
- Completion of on-line orientation and in-person training with an experienced Aquarium Guide
- Next steps: submit an application
Aquarium Maintenance Diver
- Assist with maintenance of various exhibits
- 18+ years of age
- 2 shifts/month for a minimum of 1 year (shift length varies based on assignment)
- Rescue diver certification or above
- Current CPR with AED and First Aid certifications
- Current Oxygen Administration certification
- Current DAN insurance
- Ability to pass a swim test, dive skills evaluation, and a dive physical
- Next steps: Attend an informational meeting, held in February and August of each year
- Note: Our next Diver Recruitment Event will take place on August 9, 2022, visit mote.org/events for more information and to RSVP
Summer High School volunteer Program
Occasionally, we have additional volunteer opportunities. Most require that interested individuals be a current Mote volunteer with at least 6 months of service completed as an Aquarium Guide. These opportunities may also require additional background screening and training.
- Education Assistants: Aid staff in teaching pre-designed classroom & field programs for student groups from age two-adult.
- Special Event Volunteers: Serve as a guide in the Aquarium during after-hours events (after 5:00 p.m.), such as wedding receptions and parties.
- Husbandry Volunteer: Aid staff with various aspects of animal care, such as food prep, cleaning animal habitats, etc.
- Exhibit Volunteer: Assist staff with exhibit construction, painting, gardening, set-up/breakdown of special exhibits, etc.
- Research Volunteer: Varies based on assignment. May involve lab, field, and/or remote work.
Sea Turtle Patrol Volunteer
- If you are interested in participating as a volunteer in Sea Turtle Patrol with our Sea Turtle & Conservation Research Program (STCRP), please send an email to Kathy Klingensmith at firstname.lastname@example.org and you will be provided with more information. Keep in mind that space is limited and there is usually a substantial waiting list for positions, so volunteer opportunities are not immediately available.
Volunteering in the Florida Keys
- For information on volunteer opportunities at Mote’s Elizabeth Moore International Center for Coral Reef Research & Restoration, please click here.
- Mote membership privileges
- Gift Shop & Deep Sea Diner discounts
- Professional training
- Social events & opportunities
- A chance to learn something new every day
Mote Marine Laboratory & Aquarium does not currently offer:
- Short-term, group, or corporate volunteer opportunities
- Volunteer opportunities for kids under 15 years of age
- Court-appointed community service opportunities
- Job shadowing. For college students and recent graduates, see our internship page here.
Have additional questions? Reach out to our Office of Volunteer Resources at email@example.com or (941) 388-4441, ext. 852.