To help adults become more ocean literate, Mote Marine Laboratory will launch the new course Endless Oceans: Marine Science 101 in January 2018. This lifelong learning course will offer 10 comprehensive, marine science classes. These beginner-to-intermediate classes will provide stimulating, science-based lessons useful for professional development, educational enrichment and developing a closer connection to our oceans.
Participants may register for the entire semester (10 classes) or individual classes. Full-time participants will be required to do an individual research project throughout the course and a presentation after the final class on March 12. Each lesson will consist of several pre-course reading materials assigned to provide base content for the upcoming subject. Doors will open at 8:30 a.m. on the day of class for Coffee Connections, where students can meet and mingle with peers to discuss the assigned reading materials and address questions to the course instructor.
Each class will begin at 9 a.m. Lecture structure will vary by topic but will primarily consist of classroom lectures, science demonstrations and interactive activities with the 30 minutes of each course featuring a Mote researcher who will discuss their work in relation to the day’s subject.
Each lesson in this lifelong learning course will also offer an optional after-class special activity relating to the day's topic, such as dissections, lab tours and field sampling. Additional post-course reading materials will be provided.
2018 Winter Classes:
- Monday, Jan. 8: Introduction to Marine Science
- Monday, Jan. 15: Florida Coastal Habitats
- Monday, Jan. 22: Florida Marine Invertebrates
- Monday, Jan. 29: Sea Turtle Ecology
- Monday, Feb. 5: Florida Marine Mammals
- Monday, Feb. 12: Florida Sharks & Rays
- Monday, Feb. 19: Florida Fish Ecology
- Monday, Feb. 26: Red Tide & Environmental Health
- Monday, March 5: Coral Reefs & Ocean Acidification
- Monday, March 12: Climate Change & Conservation
Cost and registration:
- $30 for members & volunteers
- $35 for non-members
- $225 for members
- $275 for non-members
- Mote Certificate of Marine Science 101
- Endless Oceans: Mote Lifelong Learning pin
Must be 18 or older to register. More information: Mote.org/lifelonglearning
Questions should be directed to Kayla Keyes, Marine Science Educator II, firstname.lastname@example.org.