Coral Reefs Workshop for Teachers, Grades 6-12
Mote Marine Laboratory will host a series of professional development workshops for formal classroom teachers. With these workshops, we hope to help inform and encourage best practices for collaborative teacher professional development integrating science and technology. Participating teachers will gain experience using appropriate technologies and will create multi‐media teaching resources for use in their classrooms. Additionally, teachers will be encouraged to share their new knowledge, resources and lessons with their school colleagues. Workshop content will be aligned with Florida standards, as well as county instructional resources with the ability to meet the specific needs of each school, grade, and class.
Theme: Coral Reefs- Health, Monitoring and Ocean Acidification
- Dates: October 16, 2017
- Times: 8:00 am–5:30 pm
- Description: This workshop will focus on Mote's world-renowned coral reef research, monitoring, restoration and ocean acidification research. With this workshop, we hope to help inform and encourage best practices for collaborative teacher professional development integrating science and technology. Featured experts include Dr. Emily Hall and Dr. Erinn Muller.
- Location: Keating Marine Education Center, 1599 Ken Thompson Parkway, Sarasota, FL 34236
- Contact: Kasey Gaylord-Opalewski (email@example.com, 941-388-4441, ext. 263)
- Click here to register
- 8:00 – 8:30 - Check-in
- 8:30 – 9:00 - Welcome & Overview of Workshop
- 9:00 – 9:30 - Science Session – CORALS 101 Review and Overview of NearPod/Microsoft Forms
- 9:30 - 9:40 - Break
- 9:45 - 10:45 -Science Session – Lecture with Dr. Emily Hall, Mote Staff Scientist and Ocean Acidification Program Manager
- 11:00 - 12:00 -Education and Technology Session - Introduction to BreakoutEDU
- 12:00 - 12:45 -Lunch (provided)
- 12:45 - 1:30 - Behind the scenes tour of Mote Aquarium & Research areas
- 1:45 - 2:45 -Science Session – Lecture with Dr. Erinn Muller, Mote Staff Scientist and Coral Health & Disease Program Manager
- 2:45 - 3:00 -Discussion & Break
- 3:00 – 4:00 - Science and Education Session - Climate Change and Ocean Acidification
- 4:00 - 4:30 - Overview of Mote’s Education Programs
- 4:30 - 5:00 - Practical Session, Discussion & Collaboration
- 5:00 – 5:30 - Wrap-up & Next Steps/Mote Education Programs
Made possible by generous support from The Charles T. Bauer Charitable Foundation and the The Koski Family Foundation, Inc.